Sunday, December 20, 2015

The benefits and perils of living above a market

OK.....so perils might be overstating it a bit......but who doesn't like a dramatic title?!

So, my new pink apartment is located above a market - the Royal Mart.  They don't seem to have big supermarkets here. A lot of food is still bought from the fresh fruit and veg markets but if you don't feel like buying meat from the street, there are a number of smaller markets that are generally pretty well stocked.  Think of a big 7-11 (hopefully without the staff exploitation http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-31/exploitation-part-of-7-eleven-business-model-insider-says/6733682) or an IGA, tesco metro type store. 

One of the main market chains here is Lucky (http://www.luckymarketgroup.com/stores.html), which definitely caters for the expat crowd and apparently even stocks Waitrose products!

Unluckily, I didn't end up living near a Lucky store (sorry for the terrible pun!)...but to compensate I do live two floors above the Royal Mart (https://www.facebook.com/royalmartcambodia) where "everthing is reasonable price".  Although it isn't that big, they do have a pretty good selection of Cambodian and expat food.


The Royal Mart
 The market is run by a family and I think there are about 4 generations involved.  The owners of the market also own the rest of the building and are my landlords.  The store takes up the ground floor, the family live on the first floor and floors 2-5 are apartments (I am on the second floor) 

 So going back to the title of this blog.......there are several benefits to living above a market. For one thing, I think it adds to the security of the place.  Security is something that you have to think about in Phnom Penh and I have heard a few scary stories of places being broken into when people are sleeping.  Living above a market means that there are always people around during the day (well from 7am-10pm when the store is open).  Also, I realised when I got home late one night that there is actually a security guide who spends the night sleeping on the ground floor.  I am sure that his role is to ensure that no one breaks into the market....but it does provide more security for residents as well. Although to be honest I am not sure how effective he would be if someone really wanted to get into the building!


It is also handy having your landlords on site and knowing where they will be if you have any problems or need something fixing (like the cable TV for example!).  But probably the best thing about living above a market is just the convenience of buying things.  If you find you need something you just pop downstairs and get it.  For example, I ran out of water last night and it was so easy for me to go down two flights of stairs to restock.  Although I was a little disappointed that one of the young guys who works there didn't help me carry the large container up the stairs as they have in the past....but I guess it was good exercise for me!

However, the main benefit of living above a store is also the biggest disadvantage (peril!).  It is just way too convenient to buy things. I have a bit of a weakness for snacks.....crisps are my particular weakness.  My consumption of crisps is generally moderated by my laziness.  Even if I have the desire I generally can't be bothered to go to the shops to buy them.  But now....all I have to do is go down two flights of stairs, it is way too easy.  Another weakness is alcohol and again it is way too easy to buy if I feel like it and I don't have any at home.  The cost is also not a deterrent....beer is about US 60 cents a can (they even have a 4 for the price of 3 special at the moment) and Bombay Saphire Gin is an incredible US$10 a bottle!!

My apartment is the one on the left on the second floor...so convenient for snacks and drinks!





















In my first few weeks I was dropping into the store everyday on my way home from work just to pick up a little treat!  But I have had to exert all my will power and show enormous restraint not to continue this habit!  I have a few moments of weakness but overall I have been better.

It is also a bit weird as sometimes I buy supplies from other places (including the fresh food markets) and when I do, I feel like I have to sneak in the back door in case the landlord sees that I have been shopping in other places.  I have this strange feeling of guilt, like I am being disloyal or something! 

But overall the benefits outweigh the disadvantages and I think I could get used to living above a market. 

Footnote: I have been eating crisps and drinking gin whilst I write this blog.....delicious! 



No comments:

Post a Comment